Sunday, September 22, 2013

UnPlugging


I've come to the conclusion that I spend entirely too much time on social networking sites. Therefore, I've decided to unplug...

Easier said than done, right? Especially for a social networking junkie like myself. Yes, I admit completely to my addiction. That's the first step to recovery, right? I'd be lying if I said I was going to go cold turkey and be successful straight out the gate, so I googled the movement of unplugging and I found a few great ideas on how to ease into it.

I decided to unplug because I feel like I've been missing out on real life... And my want to communicate with people face to face waned. I'm already an introvert, so I basically turned into a hermit, hidden away with my gadgets to keep me plugged in with cyber people. I also slacked off with my prayer and fellowship time with God as well, and that's a big no-no! I knew immediately that when I began putting social networking before God that I had a serious problem that had to be dealt with, pronto!

- The first thing I did earlier this week when I decided I was tired of constantly checking and refreshing my Facebook and Instagram accounts; I turned off all push notifications from both apps as well as both my AOL and GMAIL email accounts. If my phone pushes through a notification, even if I'm busy, I'll stop what I'm doing and pick up my phone to see what it is and if I don't I'm anxious until I finally do. But if I don't get any notifications, then I won't know when I have something new, so I won't feel the urge to pick up my phone every time it lights up. (it has worked so far)

- I've also started putting my phone up on my bookshelf whenever I need to get something done, such as house cleaning, laundry, homework with my kids, etc. Just so it won't be within arms reach for me to pick it up and refresh.

- Lastly, I picked one day (so far) to give up Facebook and Instagram completely! One whole day where I don't check my accounts, like a picture, or even post a status or picture. I even moved the apps to a separate page on my phone so that I can't see them. The day I chose is Sunday, which is today. I honestly thought that it would be hard, and that I might not make it. But I haven't logged on to either account and I'm very proud of myself. I kept my mind off of it by finding other things to do, such as updating my blog :) and getting some much needed laundry done.

I'm glad I tried this experiment, and found out that I could go without social media. The next step will be to go more days without it as well as without TV and internet in general.

Have you ever unplugged? Or do you think you need to?

1 comment:

  1. Yes...I unplug frequently. Actually my Twitter hiatus started yesterday and I'm going to attempt 7 days without it. Last year, I really learned the value of that when I decided that I needed a "reset". So yes, even if it's a couple hours a day without my phone. Facebook I can do without for a while too. IG, I guess but I don't post a pic everyday so that is hardly a problem. Emails, I only check because I have to for work and different projects.

    Also, I've learned to not check my phone/Tweet/FB none of that as soon as I wake up in the morning. I use that time to pray and think about what needs to be done that day over a hot cup of coffee.

    Kudos to you for unplugging!

    Chymere Anais
    www.chymere-anais.blogspot.com ♥

    ReplyDelete