Monday, July 28, 2014

Homeschooling Newbies!


It's official! We're homeschoolers.


Our kids will now be schooled at home, without worry of bullying, and the peace of mind in knowing that they will be learning at and above their grade level, due to the fact that they'll have devoted one on one time with their teacher, Me! And one of the most important things to us is knowing that our children are not being influenced negatively. And even though the government has, in a sense, kicked God out of school; our children will continue to grow closer to Him, in all areas of their lives, including school.


How did we arrive at this decision you may ask. Well, I'll tell you. It definitely isn't due to my longing to be a school teacher, I'll tell you that much.

We were actually preparing to start purchasing school uniforms and supplies for the 2014-2015 school year when I suddenly felt a nudge and then an urgency to look into homeschooling.

I've always toyed around with the idea of homeschooling, but was never ready to truly commit to such a feat, because surely (in my mind) I didn't have the patience, nor the teaching background to be able to give my children a decent education. All of these drawbacks were most definitely nothing more than discouragement from the enemy, trying to get me to talk myself out of doing what I knew God had placed in my heart to do.

I quickly pushed those thoughts to the side and began googling homeschooling and I found out that it was actually becoming more and more popular due to bullying and violence in school, children being left behind due to overcrowded classrooms, and many other personal reasons. I was beginning to grow even more confident that I could definitely handle this. Of course, if God was leading me to do it, He would have my back and make sure that I wasn't going to fail my children and their education, right? Right!

I applied with my state for my kids to be homeschooled, three weeks before school was set to start and I got the approval letters soon after. Though before receiving the approval I had already begun planning their curriculum (1st and 3rd grades) because although I'm sure they can't deny you the right to educate your child at home, I also knew that being led by God, nothing could stop or hinder me anyway. So I was 75% prepared for their school year at home when I got the approval, the letters were just confirmation that I was on the right track.


As I type this, July 28, 2014, we've just finished our official first day homeschooling, and while I was a bit nervous, our “school day” has ended and I have to admit it was a success. We're really looking forward to what God has in store for our school year, our children and our family as a whole.


Have you ever considered homeschooling?



No comments:

Post a Comment