Saturday, October 19, 2013

Still Married!


Do you know what today is? It's our anniversary...

Not really, but we're only one week away from being married for seven years (gosh, its been that long?). We never had the fairy tale wedding that girls grow up dreaming about, our son was with us on our two night stay at a local hotel for our "honeymoon" and we've never actually celebrated our wedding anniversaries other than the giving of gifts. No romantic trips or candlelit dinners. Bummer right? Yeah it is, I won't lie. But getting married so young, I was 20 and he was 19 (yeah I'm a cougar, rawwr! just kidding), and actually surviving seven years in this lustful sin filled world today is hard work and quite honestly romantic in its own right. At least I think so.



I won't say the past seven years have been pure wedded bliss, because that would be a flat out lie, but the fact that the both of us have hung in there with each other, looking past the others faults and flaws is special, and is what marriage is about, right? Not many people our age, or even older have gotten married and stayed married long enough to reach seven years (with those years being good or bad) so I consider us to be one of the lucky ones. Or should I say, the blessed ones.

We do hope to renew our vows when we reach the ten year mark, God willing, but as for this anniversary we want to do something to celebrate it, outside of the house. We do however have some hurdles that must be dealt with first, for instance, while my hubby will be home a whole week from work (he works offshore) we still have two little ones that are in school, which only leaves us the weekend; so a long romantic getaway is not in the cards. And the fact that babysitters are hard to come by. Also, we feel a bit guilty about leaving them with a babysitter while we get away because we haven't been on a family vacation this year, and the hubs and I did go on a seven day cruise back in July and left the kids with their aunt, so we don't want them to feel as if they never get to go anywhere with us. 

While I was quick to point out that it wouldn't be a romantic anniversary getaway with two kids tagging along, I felt a little selfish... Not really sure if I should have or not, but I did. After all, it is OUR anniversary and every mom and dad need time to themselves to rekindle a spark or to light a new fire, right?

So talk to me, am I being selfish, or should it just be the hubby and I? Also, while we know what we will do if it's going to be the four of us, we have no idea what to do if it will be just the two of us, so any ideas are greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment