Tuesday, September 30, 2014

"Mama, I love my hair!" | Natural Hair


It's a must that we teach our daughters to love their natural hair, whether it's kinky, curly or coily. However God made them, is unique and beautiful. And if we compliment them and tell them how beautiful their hair is, then they'll pick up that same attitude. But if we're constantly telling them, “Your hair is nappy.” or “Child, you need a perm.” or “I don't feel like being bothered with this mess on your head.” They'll take on those same types of attitudes about their hair and other black girls hair.

If they see another little girl rocking her natural hair, their response most likely will be something on the negative side, and probably putting down the other little girls hair, simply because they haven't been taught to love their own hair, so they wouldn't be able to comprehend the fact that another little girl actually loves her kinks.

My daughter Kalynn has been natural all of her life, and the thought never entered my mind to put a relaxer in her hair, not once. Not even before I knew what her hair texture would be. Relaxers were torture to me growing up, having sores and scabs in my head, so I was not about to put her through the same thing. And although her hair can be a handful to maintain, I make sure to tell her all the time how beautiful her hair is, and now she's taken on that same attitude. She LOVES her hair. She always wants to wear her hair out and we all know the horror of tangled natural hair, so I rarely let her wear it out, but on occasions I do, and she's always ecstatic.

If you have a daughter, please love on her hair so that she'll learn to do the same. Teach her that she doesn't have to conform to society's idea of “beauty” because how God created her is her own beauty and that's all that matters.





No comments:

Post a Comment